As I mentioned in my last post, today’s blog features some new batik artwork. It seems as if I haven’t exhausted all the ways I can play and explore with this medium…as I learn new styles and techniques in other media they often translate into some fun batik pieces!
The piece above (and the three below) I used the wax to “paint” abstract marks and shapes onto the paper before adding the background colors. The final coloring on these pieces seeps in between the cracks in a final layer of wax. I like the earthy way these feel. Incorporating the spirit-led, random mark making with the wax painting brings in some of the new style I’ve been using with acrylic paints.
Another new type of batik I’ve been exploring is using India Ink to paint onto the paper prior to waxing and adding the final layer of color. Very free strokes, flow-oriented and fun!
Obviously I was having a LOT of fun with the piece above! Testing how the inks interacted with the paper, how the brush moved and the colors could blend. The ones below were a little more thoughtful as far as the colors selected, but still full of freedom and expression.
I did one other very special set of batik art but I can’t reveal them just yet…I need to deliver them first! Look for them soon.
Well, to make up for the lack of progress photos in my last post I’ve got an entire start-to-finish series to show you today! Playing with some new techniques & materials during my art day this week was a lot of fun. I started with an illustration board, wax, contact paper & a crayon. I waxed the outside and top edges of the board, which sealed it from absorbing the paints & warping and also repelled the paint in an interesting pattern. From the contact paper I cut out a shape that I applied to the board and then drew a couple of spirals on the board with a white crayon where it was left uncovered by the contact. Next I took a marker and drew a random, abstract design on top of the contact paper adding shapes as I went. Then I marked the individual pieces of the composition in the order that I would remove them between layers of paint. Once I had that (basically) figured out I painted on the first wash of watercolor to the board.
After that dried I began cutting the contact with an exacto-knife and removing the pieces in number order, adding another layer of paint between each stage.
I changed my mind about removing a portion of the circle during this stage and decided to leave it intact until later. That’s the nice part about being able to see through the clear contact, you can adjust your ideas as you go along! I continued with the removing and layering of paint and, eventually had to get a bit messy/runny/splattery as I worked. I can only be neat & organized for so long! 🙂
I began adding more details and outlines during this stage using a black crayon. I was finally ready to remove the last pieces of contact and wash in additional layers of color with watercolor and acrylic paints.
Adding more washes of paint and more black crayon I defined some of the areas of the composition and eventually decided to outline to original shape of the contact before it was cut. I also added white within 1/2 of the circle shape and extended the curved line that ran through the circle as well, then outlined the larger shape with silver paint. Almost there!
The final touches to this piece were another black outline, this time on the outside of the silver, and adding/extending the curved lines going through the circle so that they ran from the top to bottom of the composition.
Rarely do I look at a finished piece without thinking of what I’d do differently, and this is no exception. I think my next piece I will be more liberal with the wax over the entire piece, I love to worn look it made around the edges and think I would enjoy that texture through an entire piece. It would also fun to do a monochromatic image with different hues and values of whites, blacks & grays…with perhaps just a splash of red thrown in for fun. So many things to think about!