Monday greetings to everyone! I am home and in the midst of unpacking and reorganizing things. My road trip through Colorado, Wyoming & South Dakota was wonderful and I have literally hundreds of photos I am sorting through. Be prepared for travel/photo posts in the near future! For now I am going to share some more new art images created during my residency in Breckenridge. During one of last week’s posts I mentioned new artwork that I was particularly excited about. Today’s the day to feature it on the blog! It began as a cement mixture that had some paint pigment added into it and then was spread onto a two-panel set, one measuring 10×10 inches and the other 10×20.
After it was applied to the panels I went back with a tool and swirled it and made designs into the wet cement before it began to dry. Then it sat to dry for a day or two. Having some pigment already in the cement kind of threw me for a while, but eventually I just jumped in and started adding layers of colors.
With the light colors in the cement black seemed to be a good starting point but then I felt like it was too much black and needed more color. On to the next layers, this time with a very liquid mixture of acrylic in a bright red hue, which settled in and blended with the black very nicely.
Still not quite there but making some progress. I must have gotten caught up in the process during the last steps because I didn’t take any more progress photos until the piece was finished! As you can see the next layers included iridescent copper along with a few other shades of pink/red, additional layers of black to make it more intense and a splattering of thinned-down copper as a final touch.
I’m not certain that the photograph does the piece justice but you can get a general idea of how it turned out, anyhow! It’s fun having all this new work to share and to think about where I will display it, what shows it will be in, etc. The future looks exciting through my eyes right now!