While the paint dries…

Yes, I get ever so excited when I get to spend the day in the studio.  But some days just seem to be scattered, no matter my amount of enthusiasm! (Does that ever happen to you?) I usually just jump right in a get started, the art begins to flow and I’m lost in creativity for the day.  To help with the “jumping in” I’ve laid out my project(s) for today during my last studio session. Having something ready to go is helpful, I don’t have to make any decisions about what I’ll do. (I don’t want to spend half the day just thinking about it!) Today I had two groups of small pieces that had previously had layers of texture added and this was the day to start adding the acrylic paint.  I had the paint colors selected already so there wasn’t anything to slow me. Turn on the music and let the art begin!

Layering one color, adding another, spreading the paint left, right, up & down until I was happy with the coverage and colors on the first group of six tiny square pieces. Then I did some more texturing/designing by scraping away paint.  Time for it to dry so I moved on to the second set of  three pieces and began the process again with a few different colors. Time for those pieces to dry too. I jumped over to the recent mixed media collage I had created and did some finish painting on the edges of the canvas so it would be ready to hang when the opportunity presented itself.  Well, that was fun…but now what? I could start another new piece but I don’t have an enormous amount of workspace and it was pretty full with all the small pieces laying on it. Of course I could always set up a folding table. Hmmm. Well, I guess it’s time for some coffee. Then I wandered to the bathroom & decided it was time to do some personal maintanence. Eyebrow plucked, other stray hairs removed or trimmed, moisturized and I was good to go. So now what?

I’ve been wanting to make some changes to the blog (check out the sidebar for updates, new info and a new look!).  Cool…done with that.  Might as well put up a blog post while I’m here, right? Then the phone rang and I talked to someone about possibly teaching some photography classes.  Time to check the paint again…nope. Wash the paint off my hands (again). Swept up some of the crazy asian beetle/ladybugs that are coming out of hibernation. It seems like a lot of them come out just to roll over and die on my carpet…ewww! I also got a few of the live ones in the “swirling vortex of death” while I was at it. It makes me feel victorious when I sweep them out of my art space but I know within a few hours more will appear. Happens every spring.

Oooh, the UPS man is bringing me a package! FedEx was here yesterday…it’s been a package delivering frenzy.  (Probably related to an online shopping frenzy for art supplies earlier in the week!) It was an order of photo/art papers for printing so I got them arranged in their proper place. Yesterday’s delivery included six new canvases, 12 large sheets of paper and some other fun things to do.  I love getting new art supplies! I guess now it’s time for lunch (the clock and my stomach both say that’s true).  I’m hoping that by the time I’m finished with lunch the paint will finally be dry. If not I’ll either get desperate and take the blow drying to it or I’ll start another project!

This is starting to sound more like an entry in my journal than a blog post so, grabbing a bite to eat and then…back to the studio, wet or dry paint, I go!

Hop, Skip, Jump –


UPDATE: The paint finally dried! Now everything has an entirely new coat drying. 🙂 I also started working on a new paper piece…details coming in the following days!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s